Taste a Modern Tradition
How's your Morel Compass?
Brokering Morel Mushrooms Daily
4pm to 7pm
Morel mushrooms bought by and sold by Ecker's Apple Farm are premium, of the highest quality, the very very best; therefore, there are STRICT rules and instructions governing the sale of your morel mushrooms. Please READ CAREFULLY as you may inadvertently contaminate or otherwise damage your mushrooms. Bad Mushrooms = No Sale
- Before heading out into the woods, bring along multiple PAPER BAGS. Absolutely NO PLASTIC, and by no plastic, we mean no plastic bags, no plastic containers, no plastic ice cream pails, no plastic buckets, and no plastic coolers. Plastic does not allow mushrooms to breathe and they will immediately start to sweat and break down. "Hot" mushrooms in plastic will not be accepted. Don't over fill your paper bags as the mushrooms on the bottom cannot support the weight of the top mushrooms. Crushed mushrooms will not be accepted. SAD!
- Always CUT mushrooms from the ground with a KNIFE. Never pull the mushroom out of the ground and put it in your paper bag with the dirty root ball attached. The dirt from even one mushroom can contaminate every mushroom in your bag. Dirty mushrooms will not be accepted. TERRIBLE!
- NEVER WASH your mushrooms. If you have dirty mushrooms, they are now yours to eat. Never attempt to wash your mushrooms and expect to sell them. Wet mushrooms will not be accepted. FAIL!
- "Paper" morel mushrooms are not sellable as they do not survive transport. Paper morels are easy to spot. They are nearly white in color, typically medium to large in size, and immediately fall apart in your hand. The brain-like cap disintegrates when touched. The top of the mushroom is usually blown out, the stem is large, loose, and thin, and the whole mushroom is flat and crumbly. Paper mushrooms will not be accepted. Very Bad.
- Always store your mushrooms in a paper bag in your refrigerator. Keep them cool for as long as possible before bringing them in to sell. Cool mushrooms "live" the longest. Remember: you are the first stop of many places these mushrooms will go before they are consumed. Preserving their quality, and the size of your check, begins with you. Bigly Money.
Daily Hours - 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm
Price - Changes Daily, call our pricing hotline at (608) 539-2652
The orchard is home to 20 apple cultivars ranging in tastes, textures, and subtle flavors. We are dedicated to growing our apple crop sustainably using integrated pest management techniques to achieve the highest quality of fruit. Our 2018 crop is Tru-Earth Certified.
Ecker's also features a handicap accessible, John Deere train, the Honeycrisp Express, an apiary, observational bee hive, morel mushrooms in the spring, blueberries in the summer, and Wisconsin peaches in the fall. Home to Hog's Back Brew Farm, Ecker's Apple Farm is now a must-stop craft beer destination open on weekends June through October.
Come walk our orchard rows; pick-your-own apples each September. Take in the fall colours with family and friends. Our orchard market is open daily each fall, brimming with specialty foods, our gourmet caramel, and our scratch apple pies. The orchard is our labour of love, please be part of it with us.